Benicar (Olmesartan) is given with other medicines to treat high blood pressure (hypertension). High blood pressure adds to the already working heart and arteries. Continuous high blood pressure can lead to under functioned heart and blood arteries. Olmesartan falls under the category of angiotensin II receptor blocker (ARB). It works by blocking a substance in the body that causes the blood vessels to constrict. In other words, olmesartan relaxes blood vessels which lowers the blood pressure and increases the supply of blood and oxygen to the heart.
· Take the dosage as prescribed by your physician.
· Read the instructions on the label carefully before consumption.
· Do not use the medication past the expiration date. (The expiry date refers to the last day of the month).
· Swallow the tablets with a whole drink of water.
· It is advised to take the medicine with or without food.
· Do not double up the dose to make up for a missed one.
· It is advised to constantly check blood pressure during the course of this medication.
• Always inform your doctor and pharmacist of all the current medications you are on, any medical conditions and food allergies.
• Let your doctor know if you taking any OTC meds. Olmesartan can interact with the working of some medications and vice-versa.
• Do not take this medication if you are (hypersensitive) or allergic to Olmesartan.
• Consult your physician if you have kidney issues.
• Do not take this medication if you think or /are pregnant.
• Take a pill as soon as you remember in case you miss a dose. However, if it’s time for the next dose, wait until that is due and then continue as normal.
• Consult with your physician if you have liver disease, congestive heart failure or if you are on a low salt diet.
• Visit Emergency if: -
• I am pregnant, should I take Benicar (Olmesartan)?
It is advised to discontinue taking olmesartan as soon as a pregnancy is detected as this drug can have direct effects on the developing fetus.
• Can I take Benicar (Olmesartan) with other medications?
Any medications currently in use should be informed to the doctor and to the pharmacist before using Benicar (Olmesartan) as it may interfere with the working of other medications.
• Is Benicar (Olmesartan) available as ‘Over the Counter’ medication?
No, one needs a prescription to order any strength of Benicar (Olmesartan).