Table of Contents
In the nearly 20 years since generic Viagra was approved by the FDA, the little blue pill and other erectile dysfunction drugs have changed the landscape of male sexual health. Men who can’t take these drugs will find the internet overflowing with suggested natural remedies for erectile dysfunction, but do any of them actually work? There are several reasons why men might turn to non-prescription remedies for erectile dysfunction:
- Drug interactions: Viagra and other ED drugs can be dangerous when mixed with medication for chest pain (nitrates), pulmonary hypertension, and other conditions.
- Side effects: Erectile dysfunction drugs are considered generally safe, but some men experience side effects like headaches, flushing, and dizziness.
- Other diseases: Illnesses that affect the kidney, liver, or eyes may prevent men from safely taking erectile dysfunction drugs.
- ED drugs don’t work: Some men find that prescription drugs don’t resolve their erectile dysfunction.
- Personal choice or religious beliefs cause some men to abstain from taking any kind of medication.
If you’re not sure where to begin with your ED treatment, start by learning the answers to basic questions such as what is erectile dysfunction?
Pelvic Floor Exercises
You’ve probably heard of women doing pelvic floor exercises called Kegels. But routinely exercising the pelvic muscles is also suggested to men with erectile dysfunction. Controlled studies have found pelvic floor exercises to be an effective ED treatment for some men. These exercises strengthen muscles and might improve blood flow, presenting a natural ED treatment that men of all ages and health statuses can try.
Many herbal supplements have been historically recommended to treat erectile dysfunction. Red ginseng in particular has some evidence to back up those claims. A review of studies involving red ginseng found “suggestive evidence” the root can help with ED, but determined that more studies are needed.  Some basic thoughts behind the treatment:
- Red ginseng may relax the smooth muscles in erectile tissue, allowing for increased blood flow and erection.
- Studies involved men taking anywhere from 1800–3000 mg of red ginseng per day.
- Available in liquid, powder, or capsule form red ginseng is relatively inexpensive and doesn’t come with many side effects. Of the very few complaints made in the studies headache, insomnia, and gastric upset were the most reported.
A hormone that’s produced naturally by the adrenal glands, DHEA is used by the body to create both male and female sex hormones. Levels of this hormone naturally decrease as we age, and particularly low levels are found in people with conditions like heart disease, diabetes and depression.
Evidence is mixed as to whether taking oral DHEA supplements helps with these conditions. Some people take DHEA to stop or slow the aging process rather than target any specific condition. There’s some evidence that DHEA supplements can treat ED due to low testosterone, but it’s not likely to help with ED caused by other factors.
An amino acid made by the body, arginine is involved in making nitric oxide, which relaxes blood vessels. The Mayo Clinic reports that L-arginine supplements may be helpful in treating ED caused by low nitrate levels. But more tests are needed to determine if this supplement alone has been responsible for positive results in testing.
L-arginine can make some medical conditions worse, and has even been linked to increased risk of death after heart attack. Men with erectile dysfunction shouldn’t take this supplement without their doctor’s consent.
Derived from the bark of the Yohimbe tree, Yohimbine has been used in traditional medicine as a hallucinogen, aphrodisiac, and treatment for chest pain. There’s evidence to support the idea that yohimbine dilates blood vessels, prompting research into its use to treat erectile dysfunction.
Due to a lack of strong evidence that yohimbine can treat ED, most doctors don’t recommend the supplement. With links to potentially serious side effects involving kidney failure and heart complications, men should use caution before proceeding with yohimbine under their own direction.
Buy Viagra and Cialis for Less
Natural remedies for erectile dysfunction may work for some men, but many still rely on prescription drugs for treatment. The major downside is that drug costs could end up being in control of your sex life. If you want the freedom to take erectile dysfunction medication based on mood instead of price, RxConnected.com carries Viagra and generic Cialis at discounted rates. Visit RxConnected to start the ordering process, and you can put pharmacy visits and their higher prices behind you.
DISCLAIMER: The content in this article is intended for informational purposes only. This website does not provide medical advice. In all circumstances, you should always seek the advice of your physician and/or other qualified health professionals(s) for drug, medical condition, or treatment advice. The content provided on this website is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.